Generic placeholder image

Heading

Donec sed odio dui. Etiam porta sem malesuada magna mollis euismod. Nullam id dolor id nibh ultricies vehicula ut id elit. Morbi leo risus, porta ac consectetur ac, vestibulum at eros. Praesent commodo cursus magna.

View details »

Generic placeholder image

Heading

Duis mollis, est non commodo luctus, nisi erat porttitor ligula, eget lacinia odio sem nec elit. Cras mattis consectetur purus sit amet fermentum. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh.

View details »

Generic placeholder image

Heading

Donec sed odio dui. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Vestibulum id ligula porta felis euismod semper. Fusce dapibus, tellus ac cursus commodo, tortor mauris condimentum nibh, ut fermentum massa justo sit amet risus.

View details »

Dr. Jose P. Rizal Memorial District Hospital

History and Background of DJPRMDH

          The Dr. Jose P. Rizal Memorial District Hospital, a project of the late Governor Dominador Chives, is an extension of the LagunaProvincialHospital in Sta. Cruz, Laguna.  Located in a 700 sq m lot at the back of the municipal building, it started as a 2-bed hospital in an old two storey building donated by the Llamas family in 1952.  Dr Agapito Alzona was the Officer-In-Charge and Aniana Surbano, the supervising Nurse.  The Medical and Nursing Staff came from LagunaProvincialHospital on rotation basis.

       On July 1, 1957, its operation and maintenance was financed by the national government under the General Appropriation Act and RA 1939 otherwise known as Financing Act popularly known as Provincial and Municipal Aid.  The hospital was named CalambaEmergencyHospital, a 25-bed hospital with Dr. Juan C. Cardenas as Chief of Hospital, Mr. Florencio Nevalga, Administrative Officer, and Mrs. Luz P. Belarmino, Chief Nurse.

           Dr. Lourse Panaligan replaced Dr. Juan Cardenas who resigned in 1975.  The hospital was upgraded to one with a 50-bed capacity hospital during the term of Dr. Panaligan who remained hospital chief until his death in 1978.Dr. Nestorio E. Tiu, Jr. the chief of hospital on May 1978.  The following year, on March 31, 1979, the hospital building was burned totally with estimated damage of millions of pesos for the building, equipment, instruments, and supplies including all records.

          A temporary hospital was organized immediately the next day so that the community would not be deprived of hospital services.  The community help was tremendous, coming in the form of cash, used beddings, instruments, and many others.Initial Delivery Room tables and instruments came from Dr. Nestorio E. Tiu (personal property).  Secretary Clemente Gatmaitan of the Department of Health, with the help of Dr. Edilberto Fernando, the regional director, immediately released funds for the beds, equipments, and instruments.  This temporary hospital lasted for 2 months.

         The hospital was transferred to a building near the public market when the school year opened.  That year, Governor Felisicimo San Luis started the indigency fund with unlimited amount for the Dr. Jose P. Rizal Memorial District Hospital.Dr Nestorio E. Tiu made representation for the construction of new hospital building to the former First Lady Imelda Romualdez Marcos, governor of Metro Manila and chairman of Human Settlements.  A construction of pre-fabricated building donated by Governor Felisicimo San Luis and Assemblyman Jose Yulo was initiated in an 8,000 sq.m. Land in Brgy. Bucal, Calamba, Laguna.  The lot was donated by the Dominican order (UST) to the municipality of Calamba for hospital use.The construction of 2-storey main building, supervised by Ministry of Public Works under Mr. Aber Canlas, followed.  Funding was provided by the Ministry of Human Settlements.

            Year 1981 marked the turnover, inauguration, and operation of the hospital in the new building.  Being the only government hospital in the area, it served patients not only from Laguna but also those from Quezon, Batangas, Cavite, and almost all regions in the country.The year was also highlighted by the dispersal scheme for the industries, including colleges, initiated by the government.  Under this program, industrial centers were established in the first and second districts of Laguna.  New industries in the community further swelled the number of patients to be served by the hospital.

          Providing health, hospital, and other services proved too tough with only a handful of staff and personnel.  Fortunately, improvement of hospital facilities was continuous and seemed endless.  In 1982, the Integration of Field Health Office headed by a District Health Officer.  The administration of 6 municipalities composed of 145 baranggays covering areas from San Pedro to Los Baños involving 12 main RuralHealthCenters and 64 Baranggay Health Stations and serving 93,126 households with total population of 54,727 became the responsibility of the District Health Officer.  Note that there were only 7 private hospitals and other clinics in the area.  The hospital became the show-window of Regional Health Officer #IV and was often visited by local and foreign guests in the National Health program implementation.Hospital improvement accompanied staff changes.  During this period, the out patient department and offices were constructed using the Countrywide Development Fund of Congressman Joaquin Chipeco.  A Congressional Act increased the hospital capacity from a 50-bed to 75-bed capacity.